Top Tips to Thrift
With National Op Shop Week upon us I thought I would share my Top 12 Tip to Thrift like its a sport. Salvos Stores and I have lots planned so stay tuned!
My outfits in this post are all thrifted from here in Sydney and NYC
- Educate Yourself – Be hungry for Knowledge. Read Fashion magazines, look at style websites, research brands, check out the trends, understand cut, color, fabric and form. The more you know the better you can op shop
- Be Prepared – go shopping with an idea in mind to avoid that overwhelming feeling.
- Follow the Fashion Fundamentals – seek out and stick to the classics. Timeless pieces like a great pair of jeans, a white tee, a little black dress, a trench coat. Op shops are filled with great versions of these and once you have them you can build and play with the trends from there.
- Don’t be afraid of Stains & Damage – Small stains and damages are okay if they are something easily mendable. If there’s something you totally love that has a stain, consider doing cross-stitch designs over the stain, patches, or a natural dye bath.
- Shop the Store – don’t just look in your section. Half my wardrobe is from the mens section. Try it on, you never know
- DIY and Customize – You don’t have to pay hundreds of dollars for ripped jeans or a bejeweled clutch when you can make it yourself. Surf the world wide web for inspiration.
- Dress for It – wear something that’s really easy to change in and out of or try fitted clothing that you can try things on the top of.
- Know Your Body & Style – Don’t be a slave to the trends, only buy what feels great and flatters you, do it your way.
- Get Connected – Become friends with your regular thrift stores, get to know when they receive new donations.
- Materials Matter – Look for well made garments by checking out the labels for material content. Generally those using natural materials are higher quality and tend to last longer. You can even score with finding designer brands.
- Have a Tailor on Speed Dial – Maybe the Chanel jacket you found has boxy shoulder pads,but if you have it altered it will still be so much cheaper than the original price tag.
- Take a Tool Kit – Snacks, water, a tape measure, inspiration pics, a wish list. It will make things much more efficient and enjoyable.
So get amongst it people, all the cool kids thrift
Speaking of cool kids, the lovely girl with me in a couple of these shots is Amanda Rootsey be sure to check her out she is amazing